Sunday, April 10, 2005

it's about time!



In the three and a half years since I've learned to knit, the internet has become a vital resource for me. I can't tell you how many blogs and messageboards I have browsed, looking at others' Works In Progress and Finished Objects, learning new tips techniques, becoming simultaneously jealous and inspired.

I have an online diary elsewhere for my everyday minutiae and Deep Thoughts™, and so far I have been posting my knitting flotsam there as well. But that diary is only semi-public for obvious reasons, and I wanted to join the vast community of bloggers who are out there primarily to be a part of the knitting community.

A little about me:

  • I'm 25 years old, a native of the NE Philadelphia suburbs currently living in Fairfax, VA.
  • I'm married to my husband of 3 years, Gerry, who works for the government.
  • I'm the proud mom to 2 cats (every knitting blog has at least one) named Smokey and the Bandit.
  • I have a BA in English from the U of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (GO HEELS) and a MA in Literature from American University here in DC.
  • Shockingly, those degrees have not led to steady employment thus far, but in my free time I am volunteering with a local animal rescue org and singing in a wonderful community choir.
  • I am probably what you'd call an "Advanced Beginnner" when it comes to the craft. I love learning new things, which I mostly teach myself from books and the internet. My mother-in-law was the one who originally showed me how to knit and purl, and I just took off from there!
  • I'm currently working on my first sweater and my first felted bag, pictures of which will be forthcoming.


Stay tuned!



2 comments:

Matt the Hat said...

Good Luck and have fun.

Kim said...

Woo! The reason I said that we were copycats is because I just started my knitting blog a couple days ago.. We seem to do things at the same time..

Anyway.. I enjoy reading what you write.. and now that you'll be writing mostly about knitting here.. I'm sure I'll enjoy that too : )

One more other random thing: I never would have guessed that his name started with a G. You're tricky!

The true story of one girl's adventures in knitting and academia.