Friday, April 15, 2005

works in progress



I have two projects on the needles right now, and both have pushed me to learn new things. The Booga Bag is my first wool project as well as my first felting project, AND I learned picking up stitches and I-cord while making it. It's almost ready for felting... maybe four more inches of height and I'll bind it off. I used the recommended yarn, Noro Kureyon, in colorway #55. I'm really happy with the color, I was worried it would be too drab but there are all sorts of blue and red tones to the browns and grays that make it really interesting to look at. I think the picture I just took captured that well.



And here is my very first sweater, knitty's Tempting, which was also my first project on circular needles (and DPNs). I'm making it in the recommended Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, colorway #612. I love the Cashmerino, it's very plush and easy to knit. The first picture is from a month ago, when I first started on the body. The second picture is current!





You can see the beginnings of a sleeve there on the DPNs. I must have frogged it and cast it on 5 times before I got the hang of them. I think I may have been dropping stitches between needles, since my rib pattern kept coming out wrong. But I have about three rounds of non-messed-up-2x2 now, so I think this is the time it's gonna stick.

This week the yarn arrived for my next three projects. I'm making another baby blanky, in turquoise, tangerine and lemon yellow, this time in Debbie Bliss Cotton DK. The baby is due in July, so I thought the summery colors would be nice. Then I ordered two balls of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in "Pearl" from a seller on eBay who was offering free shipping from the UK! It arrived in less than a week, I was amazed. That's going to be a lacey scarf from the Last-Minute Gifts book. I'm making it a little wider and longer than the pattern calls for in hopes of using it as a wrap/shawl for Dad's wedding in September. Finally, I ordered some inexpensive wool from Elann.com to make a striped Booga bag for my sister in various shades of pink.

I like having a backlog of projects, it's a very satisfying feeling for some reason.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Woo! Your sweater is going really good.. I haven't tried DPNs yet.. they're kinda scary.. I love that ebay seller too.. and there was another one just like it.. um.... Here that I shop with too, I shop them against eachother and see which is cheaper.. that's where I got most of my sweater yarn from.. I wouldn't have been able to make it without them!

I'm curious to find out if you like the debbie bliss cotton dk better/the same/worse than rowan's..

The true story of one girl's adventures in knitting and academia.